Over the last few weeks, we’ve spent a fair amount of time engaging with our clients, talking about how they’re returning to their working environments safely. As of this week, we’ve got 90% of our typical client base back open and using workers from our Industrial teams. In this blog, I’ll be sharing the top 10 best practice tips we’ve identified…
A couple of weeks ago we wrote our blog: Our Top 3 Tips to Help You Implement Social Distancing in the Workplace. In this, we looked at effective ways that all sites could get their message across to their workers regarding social distancing at work. Since then we’ve been having a lot of conversations with our clients about these tips; have they found them useful? Were they already in place? What else are they doing on their site? And as promised we’re going to share the results with you.
The majority of our clients operate in the food production, manufacturing, warehouse and logistics, contract packing, print and packaging and waste and recycling sectors. Although there are different requirements on each site there is definitely a common theme
Here the top ten changes our clients have been making on their sites:
- Providing their workers with individual hand sanitiser and/ or hand sanitiser stations
- Staggering their breaks with a maximum capacity allowed in the canteen and smoking shelters
- Providing their staff with additional PPE: masks, snoods, face visors and gloves
- Staff health check-ins including questions about the workers’ family health
- Adding signage throughout the site and marking out work areas
- Added more/ staggering shifts
- Temperature checks when entering the site
- Increased cleaning, this included: staff cleaning their personal work stations and crockery, contact points cleaned throughout the day and hourly cleaning of common areas
- Re-inducting workers with the updated Health & Safety policy
- No visitors to the site
Additional answers we received included;
- Schedule for hand washing
- Reduced delivery service
- Screens in place for reception
- One-way system
- Ensuring all employees follow the WHO and GOV.UK guidelines and instructions
- No business travel outside of the UK
- Requesting workers to have the flexibility to cover shifts
Does this sound familiar? Have you implemented anything different on your site that you think other businesses could use? Let us know!
The Government announced this week that from the 4th of July the social distancing measurement from ‘where it is not possible to stay two metres apart, guidance will allow people to keep a social distance of ‘one metre plus’. How will this affect your current set-up on-site? Will this make your day-to-day running easier? Will you keep the same measurements you’ve put in place?
We’d love to hear from you. We'd like to continue getting your feedback so that we can share ideas, best practices, and general feedback. If you’d like to have a chat with your Consultant feel free to call us or ask for a call back (at your convenience).