EU Settlement Scheme: There’s Still Time but Don’t Delay
There may still be time to submit an application to the EU Settlement scheme but the government have said that It is taking longer than usual to process applications because of coronavirus (COVID-19). So, if you haven’t sent your application yet, now is the time to do it.
If you’re an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen, you and your family can apply to the EU Settlement Scheme to continue living in the UK after 30 June 2021. You can also apply if you’re the family member of an eligible person of Northern Ireland.
If your application is successful, you’ll get either settled or pre-settled status. (The EEA includes the EU countries and also Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway.)
You may be able to stay in the UK without applying - for example, if you’re an Irish citizen or already have indefinite leave to remain.
Who Should Apply
Except in a few cases, you need to apply if:
- you’re an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen
- you’re not an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen, but your family member is (or is an eligible person of Northern Ireland)
- The EEA includes the EU countries and also Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway.
This means you need to apply even if you:
- were born in the UK but are not a British citizen - you can check if you’re a British citizen if you’re not sure
- have a UK ‘permanent residence document’
- are a family member of an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen who does not need to apply - including if they’re from Ireland
- are an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen with a British citizen family member
- If you have children, you need to apply for them separately.
If you’re an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen and you have a family member who is an eligible person of Northern Ireland, you may be able to choose which way you apply.
When Can You Apply?
The EU Settlement Scheme is open. You can apply now if you meet the criteria.
The deadline for applying is 30 June 2021. You must have started living in the UK by 31 December 2020.
Which status you get may depend on when you apply. You can check you settlement status here.
Does It Cost Anything to Apply?
It’s free to apply to the scheme.
Where Can I Apply to the EU Settlement Scheme
Remember, it’s taking longer than usual to process applications because of coronavirus (COVID-19).
You can apply using any device, for example, a laptop, Android device or iPhone but don’t forget to check what you’ll need before you apply.